This is our family favourite Chicken Katsu for dinner at our house. I am loving the new Re-play divided plates; it holds a good amount of food and the deep walls make it easier for kids to eat by themselves without too much mess!
Chicken Katsu recipe:
2 chicken thigh fillets
1/2 cup of plain flour
1 egg lightly beaten
1 cup of panko breadcrumbs (you can get this from the Asian section at the supermarket)
- Make the chicken thighs as evenly flat as you can and season on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place the flour, egg and panko crumbs into separate shallow dishes large enough to coat the chicken.
- Coat the chicken in flour, shaking off any excess. Dip them into the egg and then press into the panko crumbs until well coated on both sides.
- Heat enough oil in a deep pan ready to shallow fry.
A tip to know if the oil is the perfect temperature is to drop a pinch of the panko breadcrumbs into the oil and if it sinks and comes back up to the surface and bubbles straight away it is ready!
- shallow fry the chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
I usually serve this with white rice and shredded cabbage as the sides. and top with kewpie mayonnaise and Japanese BBQ sauce which the kids absolutely love.